About The Project
WI Libraries Talk About Race: Goals for 2021-2022
- Discover what learning gaps exist to better inform future continuing education work related to diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI).
- Improve Wisconsin library workers’ capacity for discussing topics related to race (based on a pre- and post-survey).
- Determine next steps to improve the capacity of libraries and library workers in talking about and taking action toward racial equity.
Ways For Library Staff to Participate
1. Group education. Watch any of the webinars delivered in 2022 with a colleague, library staff, or board. These were originally offered live, statewide to the WI library community.
-Talking about race at work
-Engaging in sensitive conversations & handling pushback
-Understanding why diversity matters in majority white spaces
2. Independent study. Independently explore foundational topics related to racial equity through suggested books, articles, videos, etc.
3. Group exploration or discussion. We encourage you to utilize the Independent Study materials and the Additional Resources by scheduling activities with your library staff, Board, Friends, community, or others.
Project Organizers & Contact Us: The IDEA Team
As part of the 2022 LSTA-funded project, WI Libraries Talk About Race is a team of system consultants from across Wisconsin named “The IDEA (Inclusion, Diversity, and Equity in Action) Team.” The purpose of this team is to facilitate and organize statewide professional learning on topics related to diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI) for Wisconsin library staff members. In 2021/2022, the primary focus for the team was on race and racial equity.
Please contact any IDEA Team member with questions, suggestions, or to request any accommodations:
Jean Anderson, South Central Library System: firstname.lastname@example.org
Shawn Brommer, South Central Library System: email@example.com
Mark Jochem, South Central Library System: firstname.lastname@example.org
Shauna Koszegi, Southwest Wisconsin Library System: email@example.com
Leah Langby, IFLS Library System: firstname.lastname@example.org
Sherry Machones, Northern Waters Library Service/Wisconsin Valley Library Service: email@example.com
Cole Zrostlik, Winding Rivers Library System: firstname.lastname@example.org
Additional Project Consulting
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI) Consulting for this project has been provided by the THE PEOPLE COMPANY. The People Company provides relevant advice, coaching, strategic perspective, and educational solutions for multiple industries, including healthcare, technology, higher education, insurance, manufacturing, service and non-profit industries to understand how diversity, equity and inclusion factors into their work, decision-making, problem-solving, business opportunities and business growth.